Friday, June 3, 2011

guiltless days


I called to check on Marcos and Jenna yesterday who are enjoying time with their grandparents in the north of Portugal. It was hard to track them down. Apparently, they have been quite busy driving the tractor, gathering eggs from the chickens, washing down the horses, building bridges and who knows what else.

When Jenna finally made it to the phone she spoke to me only in Portuguese. I had to remind her that I prefer to speak english. "OK"

"So Jenna do you miss me?" Jenna: "Yes"
"Are you a little bit scared without us?" Jenna "No"
"Are you having fun?" Jenna "Yes"
"Are you eating lots of junk food?" Jenna "Yes"
"I miss you Jenna" Jenna "I miss you more"
Laughing she runs off to something more interesting.

Marcos never did come to the phone.

The kids are fine.

Without any guilt whatsoever, Duarte and I are enjoying a very restful getaway. When all guilt and worry is removed from a mother's life - she becomes...a more familiar, a more peaceful self. Hello Susanne. It has been a long time.

1 comment:

Mike Dayton said...

Dear Duarte and Susanne,

Great updates. Glad you're enjoying your days in the sun. More pictures!

Mike & Kelly