Thursday, June 2, 2011

good work

Duarte's conference with the United Nations World Tourism Organization opened last night with a splendid, evening cocktail party upon an open deck overlooking the harbor of Vila Moura. We watched the sunset while sipping regional wine and enjoying a grand spread of appetizers.

To be among some of the world's great people who strive to make a difference in the world through the implementation of tourism was truly humbling and I said as much to Duarte. Since leaving my job at Penn State, I have felt lost as I have had to re-evaluate my career and even to some degree my life's purpose. I enjoy making a difference in the world and I have yet to find a means to do so in Raleigh. Duarte's work to use tourism to fight poverty and to preserve culture impresses me. I'm proud of the work he does and the difference he has certainly made to countless people's lives.

While discussing this with one another at the party, a man I had noticed earlier joined us at our table. Very quickly, we learned that this man's ambitions through tourism were in great alignment with our own ideals. Earlier we had been commenting on a flyer (the one and only flyer) that was enclosed in the conference bag. Titled "We Can End Poverty" the flyer listed four goals - one of which included selecting one teenager from each major area of conflict in the world, titling them Peace Ambassadors and have them represent their countries at the Olympic Games. Well, this pushed all kinds of buttons for me. I am supportive of working with young people to make a difference - but for what reason? What outcome would come of this to make the kids' lives better? An organization can't just take these kids away from their cultures no matter how horrible they are, drop them in a Marriott, give them a title and hope that their lives improve. And low and behold, the creator of that flyer was the man who had just joined us.

Having an opportunity to challenge the man and his ideals with my reservations, I acted upon it (of course I did). To my great surprise, he responded with such thoughtful, insightful and beautiful ideas. Within minutes, I was captured by this man's passion and his quest. I wanted to be a part of it too.

After an enjoyable conversation, we parted ways so that he could get on with his networking. We exchanged emails. I mentioned to him that I am in search of great work in this world and that I would like to be a part of his effort. He assured me I would hear from him again. I hope that I do.

And so, a series of coincidences led me to at least have hope for my professional future and if not just hope - some new ideas. How exciting.

No comments: