Thursday, June 30, 2011

Final day

June 30, 2011
Chaves

The last day in Portugal is always the hardest day for me emotionally. I absorb everyone’s emotions and then of course I have my own to deal with. Marcos is irritable and fragile, Jenna is quiet, Duarte is unsure of where to be and what to do with himself, Geninha cries, Filinto stops everything to play with his grandson, the maids make the kids their favorite meals and stop for frequent hugs. Everyone is affected by our departure.

Duarte’s parents are so kind and so wonderful and so giving. They live for their sons and for their grandchildren. Taking Marcos and Jenna so far away from them hurts me as I ache for their loss. I wish that a full year wouldn’t have to pass before we will see each other again. A year carries much change…another year of growth for our children, another year of aging for the rest of us.

I love Portugal. I love Duarte’s family. I enjoy the food. I am grateful for the mild summer temperature. I like not washing clothes nor cooking. There are many things that I love and enjoy. Portugal is a feast for the eyes and always a lesson of history. I do struggle quite a bit as I search for my place and my purpose while I’m here. Unfortunately, I only truly appreciate it all upon the days leading up to our departure. Such is life.

Some things I’ll take back with me…

1. A nice sun tan
2. A few extra pounds -
3. Amazing memories of Morocco, Algarve, Obidos
4. An improved appreciation of my best friend and life partner. (a second honeymoon was a great idea.)
5. Respect for my children for living with their grandparents for a week without their mama and papa.
6. A few bottles of wine
7. A greater comprehension of the Portuguese language
8. A better understanding of the Muslim culture
9. The ability to sit still for long periods of time (wonder how long that will last?)
10. A beautiful painting from Essaouira, Africa
11. Fun memories with Marcos and Jenna…diving competitions, swimming competitions, exploring castles, riding Flash, mountain biking, cleaning up our house, putting the sheep to bed.
12. And more, I’m sure.

And so I say goodnight to this beautiful place and to this even more beautiful family. We’ll be at home tomorrow night and will begin the first day of a full year until we return again. A te lago.

No comments: